Friday, January 11, 2008

You Better Watch That FoulMouth!

December 15th was our first time at The Cell Block, and Chris (my husband) and I had walked thru the door about 7:30. Since bands started playing around 6, we missed a couple, but got there just in time to see The Chemical Clownz take the stage. They opened with a little number called “Obsessed with your big boobies.” Although, musically they weren’t the best band of the night, The Chemical Clownz put on an excellent, high energy performance that left you wanting more. Their fun lyrics mixed with thrash could have easily been the love child of (sooooo close to my heart) D.R.I. and the Descendants (what? You kiddies don’t know who they are? Shame! Shame! )

SOULESS was up next and had an amazing overall sound. They definitely won me over with their double bass, tight change ups, and overall excellent musicianship. SOULESS was the epitome of what a live show should be – one you can feel deep in your chest and radiating throughout your body.

The wait between sets was grueling, but Killing Eve was well worth it. I cannot compare the intensity of the vocalist to any I have seen before. Funkier than the previous two, Killing Eve was incredibly addictive and Chris’ favorite of the night.

Although my ear wasn’t trained for Ghostlife’s vocals, they were the first band that night to attempt a melodious vocalization, which I think was against their favor in this line up. One song seemed to bleed into the next, and though individually, Ghostlife was worth a foot-tapping, ultimately I felt like I was watching a ballet dancer pirouette during a monster truck rally.

After an uncomfortable wait with Cut Throat Freak Show, FoulMouth took the stage. I have been impressed with the overall sound and production of their recordings, and was extremely curious to see if they could duplicate it on stage. FoulMouth’s energy and ability to go above and beyond what I expected of their live performance was a great end to my night. Overall their set was incredibly tight with top-notch musicianship; I expect great things from these guys in the future!

No comments: